Posted: 09 Sep 2013 Print Send a link
Daventry Express, 25 Aug 2013: "The final design for a piece of artwork at one of the gateways to the [Daventry] town centre has been voted for by the public. 'Daventry Calling' was the winning piece, representing the town’s broadcasting heritage with symbolic masts radiating words to the world. The artwork will go on the roundabout at the junction of Abbey Street and South Way and has been paid for by the developers of the nearby Abbey Retail Park... . The BBC World Service was originally broadcast from Borough Hill using the radio call sign of ‘Daventry Calling’ making the town’s name well-known across the world. In 1935, this radio station was used for the first-ever practical demonstration of radar. The sculpture will stand at around 7 metres high and will consist of five ‘masts’ with a laser-cut ‘radio wave’ text ring." -- Of course, in the 1930s, it was the BBC Empire Service. "World Service" came decades later. See also Northampton Chronicle & Echo, 17 Aug 2013.